Power returns to much of hurricane-hit New York City
Washington: US utilities have restored power to about a million houses and businesses in the East Coast, which were plunged into darkness by Hurricane Sandy.
Con Edison, which provides electricity, gas and steam service to NYC, said that power was provided in over 65,000 homes, apartment buildings and businesses on the Lower East Side and in the East Village.
Power also returned to many places in Chelsea, on the west side of Manhattan, downtown by City Hall and by Madison Square Park.
According to CBS News, the energy company also announced that power had been restored to at least 122,000 houses in Brooklyn, 29,000 in Queens, 39,000 in the Bronx and 85,000 in Staten Island.
The utility said that it still can’t give a timetable for when service would be back for the rest of the city still without power.
Much of Staten Island, Brooklyn and the southern third of Manhattan has been dark since Monday evening, leaving many New Yorkers desperate for heat, light and the Internet.
According to the report, Mayor Michael Bloomberg at a midday news conference said that he hoped power would be restored to most of the region by midnight.
Con Edison said that it was trying to meet that deadline. However, it added that power must be brought back slowly to avoid burnouts, fires and overloads in the system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday