Powerful quake hits Indonesia: Seismologists
Jakarta: A powerful quake with a magnitude of 7.0 hit off the eastern Indonesian island of Maluku on Sunday, seismologists said, but no tsunami warning was issued.
The quake struck at 07:47 pm local time (1247 GMT) about 132 kilometres (82 miles) southeast of Labuha, North Maluku province, at a depth of 56 kilometres, the Indonesian Meteorology and Geophysics Agency said.
"There has been no report of casualties so far. There was some shaking felt in several areas but it`s not strong," the agency`s technical chief Suharjono said.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific ‘Ring of Fire’, where the meeting of continental plates causes high volcanic and seismic activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Five killed as house collapses in Andhra Pradesh
- Here’s why Lord Shiva is also known as Neelkantha
- Ravichandran Ashwin replaces Yashir Shah at the top of ICC bowler rankings
- Hubble peers into the core of a starburst galaxy – See pic!
- JuD medical team wants to visit Kashmir to treat injured, applies for Indian visa