Powerful quake rocks New Zealand`s Christchurch
Wellington: The earthquake-devastated New
Zealand city of Christchurch was rocked by a powerful 5.8
magnitude tremor on Friday forcing evacuations from buildings,
New Zealand`s second largest city was hit by a
6.3-magnitude quake in February, killing 181 people and
destroying much of the downtown area.
Government seismologists measured the latest shake at
magnitude 5.8 and said it struck at 1:58pm (0058 GMT) eight
Local news media reported people fleeing into the streets
with fear on their faces as the quake followed by four strong
aftershocks rattled the city.
Shopping malls were vacated and Television New Zealand
said the international airport was shut down.
Telephone services and electricity supplies were
disrupted but police said there were no immediate reports of
Christchurch resident Jo Davis told News channel her
neighbours were screaming.
"I was terrified, I guess just because it`s been so long
since we`ve had a decent one. We`ve had a TV and glasses fall
over but no repeat of liquefaction (when earth becomes fluid)
like in June so I guess it`s not so bad."
Scientists warned last month of an increased probability
that another powerful earthquake would hit Christchurch.
New Zealand sits on the so-called "Ring of Fire" the
boundary of the Australian and Pacific tectonic plates, and
experiences up to 15,000 tremors a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report