Powerful quake shakes areas of Turkey, Greece
Athens: A powerful earthquake shook Greece`s island of Rhodes and southwestern Turkey on Sunday, but no deaths or damage were immediately reported.
The Athens Geodynamic Institute says the quake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.8 struck at a depth of 37 kilometers (23 miles) in the Aegean Sea at 3:44 pm (1714 IST) today. That is between the Greek island of Rhodes and western Turkey.
Turkey`s Kandilli Observatory gave a stronger preliminary magnitude of 6.1, with aftershocks of 6 and 4.9. Areas of Turkey shaken by the quake included the popular Aegean resort town of Oludeniz, the Aegean port of Izmir, and the Mediterranean city of Antalya.
Police in Rhodes said there are no reports of injuries or damage.
No serious casualties were reported in Turkey either, but state TV said some people hurt themselves while panicking in the reaction to the temblor. The TV report provided no details about their injuries or the number of victims.
These regions of Greece and Turkey are in seismically active areas and suffer frequent earthquakes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi