Powerful quake shakes areas of Turkey, Greece
Athens: A powerful earthquake shook Greece`s island of Rhodes and southwestern Turkey on Sunday, but no deaths or damage were immediately reported.
The Athens Geodynamic Institute says the quake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.8 struck at a depth of 37 kilometers (23 miles) in the Aegean Sea at 3:44 pm (1714 IST) today. That is between the Greek island of Rhodes and western Turkey.
Turkey`s Kandilli Observatory gave a stronger preliminary magnitude of 6.1, with aftershocks of 6 and 4.9. Areas of Turkey shaken by the quake included the popular Aegean resort town of Oludeniz, the Aegean port of Izmir, and the Mediterranean city of Antalya.
Police in Rhodes said there are no reports of injuries or damage.
No serious casualties were reported in Turkey either, but state TV said some people hurt themselves while panicking in the reaction to the temblor. The TV report provided no details about their injuries or the number of victims.
These regions of Greece and Turkey are in seismically active areas and suffer frequent earthquakes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video