Practice of forcefully marrying of girls surfaces in Pakistan
Peshawar: About 400 years after it was first introduced, Swara - the practice of forcefully marrying of girls, even minors, to resolve feuds between clans - continues in Pakistan`s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and?Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
Of late, a number of such incidents have come to light in the picturesque Swat valley, a stronghold of the Pakistani Taliban.
Swara is a child marriage custom in tribal areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan. It is tied to blood feuds among the different tribes and clans.
Young girls are forcibly married to members of different clans in order to resolve the feuds. Swara is also known as Sak, Vani and Sangchatti in different regional languages of Pakistan.
The custom started almost 400 years ago when two northwestern Pakistani Pashtun tribes fought a bloody war against each other.
However, fresh cases of Swara surfaced in Swat where five girls, including two minors, were given given away in Kalam and Matta tehsils of Swat district.
According to sources, Farzana had married Laiqzada in Bazkhela locality in the Matta Tehsil, in what wastermed as "love marriage".
A Jirga was held to settle the dispute between the two families which decided that six-year-old sister of Laiqzada would be married off to Farzana`s brother Habibullah, son of Mohammad Iqbal.
Police moved into action and registered a case against six persons, including Maulana Fazal Jamil, who had solemnised the marriage, Habibullah, Sherzada, Muhammad Iqbal, Sulaiman and Salar. Maulana Fazal Jamil and Habibullah were arrested while four persons escaped.
Raids were being conducted to nab the other accused.
Another four girls, including a minor, were given in Swara for settling two honour-related disputes in the Kalam Tehsil.
The decisions were made by two separate Jirgas held near the Kalam Bazaar.
The members of the first Jirga decided to give in Swara Farazia, daughter of Khan Gul, to Mohammad Sadiq, son of Abdul Khaliq.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know