Pray for me: Pope Francis sends first tweet
Vatican City: Pope Francis posted his first tweet Sunday to engage with over three million followers on his personal Twitter account, with a message: "Pray for me."
"Dear friends, I thank you from my heart and ask you to continue to pray for me," the pope tweeted from the @Pontifex account, which was previously used by Benedict XVI.
The 76-year-old Pope Francis`s first tweet had over 13,000 retweets within the first hours of posting.
After Pope Benedict officially resigned, all tweets were erased from the feed and the @Pontifex account holder`s name was changed to "Sede Vacante" to signify the papacy was vacant.
Shortly after Pope Francis was elected, the Vatican used the papal Twitter account to tweet "Habemus Papam Franciscum" (We have a pope named Francis).
The tweet came three months after the Vatican launched the first ever personal Twitter account for the Pope, with tweets going out in nine languages.
The Pope`s English account has nearly 1.6 million followers.
Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires was elected the 266th pope by the conclave of cardinals March 13, becoming the first Latin American to lead the Catholic Church.
The inauguration of the new leader of the world`s 1.2 billion Catholics will be held March 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre