Pray for me: Pope Francis sends first tweet
Vatican City: Pope Francis posted his first tweet Sunday to engage with over three million followers on his personal Twitter account, with a message: "Pray for me."
"Dear friends, I thank you from my heart and ask you to continue to pray for me," the pope tweeted from the @Pontifex account, which was previously used by Benedict XVI.
The 76-year-old Pope Francis`s first tweet had over 13,000 retweets within the first hours of posting.
After Pope Benedict officially resigned, all tweets were erased from the feed and the @Pontifex account holder`s name was changed to "Sede Vacante" to signify the papacy was vacant.
Shortly after Pope Francis was elected, the Vatican used the papal Twitter account to tweet "Habemus Papam Franciscum" (We have a pope named Francis).
The tweet came three months after the Vatican launched the first ever personal Twitter account for the Pope, with tweets going out in nine languages.
The Pope`s English account has nearly 1.6 million followers.
Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires was elected the 266th pope by the conclave of cardinals March 13, becoming the first Latin American to lead the Catholic Church.
The inauguration of the new leader of the world`s 1.2 billion Catholics will be held March 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...