Pre-New Year heist: 550 boxes of culinary herbs looted in Moscow
Moscow: An audacious heist in Moscow has threatened to cripple the New Year festivities. Police said Friday robbers made away with 557 boxes of dill and parsley, the nation`s staple culinary herbs.
Four men approached the truck driver transporting the herbs when he stopped in southern Moscow, police told Vechernyaya Moskva newspaper.
The attackers forced the trucker into their Mercedes at gunpoint, put a jacket over his head and drove him away.
Eight hours later, they dropped him back by his truck, but by that time it had been emptied.
Damages from the heist are estimated at 500,000 rubles ($16,500).
Dill is ubiquitous in Russia. In Russian cuisine, it is sprinkled generously on anything from beetroot soup borsht, to Olivier salad and even caviar sandwiches.
The annual per capita consumption of dill in Russia was estimated at 1.6 kg, according to a 2011 report by major greenhouse provider Agrotip.
This is the second pre-New Year food heist in days. Earlier this week, 37 tonnes of potatoes were stolen from a storage facility in Moscow region.
A female fraudster presented fake invoices and drove away with two truckloads of the vegetable worth 260,000 rubles ($9,000), police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened