Pregnant women face discrimination in Australia
Sydney: Pregnant women and mothers face discrimination, negative comments and dead ends in their career in many workplaces in Australia, a study has found.
A survey by the Australian Bureau of Statistics of 357,500 working women with a child under two found that 19 percent faced discrimination in the workplace and 29 percent left the workforce permanently while pregnant or after having their child, according to the adelaidenow website.
The report said 29 percent of women started or returned to work within three months of the birth of the child, 28 percent returned between four and six months of the birth and 33 percent returned within 12 months.
Of the women who returned to work, more than half said they were motivated by a desire for adult interaction and mental stimulation. One in four said they returned to keep their employer happy.
The research showed 31,200 women felt they received negative comments from their manager or colleagues while 22,900 said they missed out on a promotion.
Around 10,100 women said their duties were changed without consultation and 4,500 said they were demoted.
To save costs, 87,900 parents (43 percent) preferred grandparents to keep their child, compared to 57,700 (28 percent) who utilised day care.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM