Prepare for Syrian chemical weapons, John Kerry tells NATO
Washington: US Secretary of State John Kerry has called on the NATO to prepare for the possible use of chemical weapons by Syria in the ongoing civil war there.
"We should also carefully and collectively consider how NATO is prepared to respond to protect its members from a Syrian threat, including any potential chemical weapons threat," Kerry said at a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Brussels.
On Tuesday, Israel`s top military intelligence analyst, Brig. Gen. Itai Brun, said Syrian government forces had used chemical weapons against rebels trying to oust President Bashar al-Assad.
Kerry said NATO should have contingency plans to guard against the threat of chemical weapons.
NATO has deployed Patriot anti-missile batteries in Turkey, which borders Syria and is a NATO member, after artillery fire from Syria hit several Turkish villages.
US President Barack Obama has said that the use of chemical weapons in Syria is a red line that would trigger further action from the US.
Kerry also met Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Brussels Tuesday, and thanked Lavrov for Russian President Vladimir Putin`s statement of condolence to the US after the bombings at the Boston Marathon.
Russia, which has long fought Islamic separatists in Chechnya, had alerted US officials in 2011 to possible extremist links to one of the suspected bombers, Tamerlan Tsarnaev.
Also at the NATO meeting in Brussels Tuesday, Kerry signed an agreement with Lithuania to work together to combat nuclear terrorism and the illegal smuggling of nuclear and radioactive materials and related technologies.
"This will keep nuclear materials out of the hands of terrorists, out of bad actors, it`s a very important step," Kerry said.
The nuclear smuggling pact is aimed at helping Lithuania`s ability to prevent, detect and respond to nuclear smuggling incidents.
Several European countries have already signed similar nuclear smuggling agreements with the US, including Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Slovakia and Uzbekistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened