President Cristina Kirchner blood clot surgery a success: Argentina
Buenos Aires: Argentine President Cristina Kirchner was recovering in hospital after successful surgery to remove a blood clot on her brain, officials said.
Kirchner was said to be in "good spirits" following the operation yesterday, which came just three weeks before crucial mid-term legislative elections.
A government spokesman said the surgery was successful and a report described her as "evolving favorably" in an intensive care unit at a private hospital in Buenos Aires.
The surgery was performed "without complications," the government report said.
"It went very well. The president is in good spirits and is already in her room," said undersecretary for public communication Alfredo Scoccimarro.
Kirchner, 60, was diagnosed over the weekend with a "chronic subdural hematoma" resulting from a blow to the head sustained in a fall in mid-August.
She was hospitalised on Monday after experiencing tingling in her left arm and muscle weakness, prompting her doctors to order surgery to drain the hematoma lodged between the brain and its outer casing.
Supporters of the president gathered outside the Fundacion Favaloro university hospital where they left flowers and get-well messages around a flag-draped photograph of Kirchner and her late husband Nestor, who preceded her as president.
"Strength, Cristina," "The country and the youth are with you," and "You are irreplaceable," read placards placed at the shrine.
Kirchner has had several bouts of low blood pressure since coming to office in 2007, and underwent surgery in 2012 to remove her thyroid glands after being misdiagnosed as having cancer.
The current medical setback comes at a sensitive political moment, with Argentines going to the polls October 27 to cast ballot in legislative elections that will set the political direction for the country halfway through Kirchner`s second and last term.
At stake are half the seats in the lower house of Congress and a third of the Senate. Kirchner`s Peronist party currently controls both houses, but showed signs of weakness in primaries earlier this year.
Vice President Amado Boudou, a former economy minister from 2009 to 2011, has assumed leadership of the government in Kirchner`s absence, although without a formal transfer of presidential powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe