Preteen samba queen cries at Rio`s Carnival
Rio de Janeiro: She was cheered by legions of Carnival fans, but 7-year-old Julia Lira, the youngest drum corps queen in memory at Rio`s lavish party, broke down crying upon realising she was the centre of everyone`s attention early Monday.
Dressed in a sequined halter top and a miniskirt made of purple feathers, the youngster shuffled through the first 50 yards (meters) of the parade. Her father — the president of the parading Viradouro samba group — then took her by the hand and presented her to the crowd. She smiled big for the photographers.
But 10 minutes into the group`s parade and surrounded by dozens of photographers and television cameramen, the youngster broke down in tears and was immediately scooped up into the arms of her unofficial handler, the group`s spokeswoman Joice Hurtado, and taken away from the attention.
After a five-minute cool down, Julia returned to her place in front of the group`s massive drum line, but was quickly whisked through the parade grounds by her father and out of the media`s eye.
About 20 minutes after that, the girl bounced back and began to samba at the helm of the parade — though television coverage steered clear of showing the youngster to millions of viewers.
Before the parade began, Julia`s father, Marco Lira, said that "she`s happy, she is ready to dance."
But some in the audience thought she was not ready for the spotlight.
"She is too young to be a drum corps queen," said Marister Deniz, 60, who was watching from the stands. "A girl that size shouldn`t be thrust in such a role."
But Jorge Elias Souza, a member of the Viradouro drum corps, said he was proud of the girl regardless.
Putting Julia in the Carnival role drew the ire of child welfare advocates who were against a 7-year-old taking on a role normally reserved for sultry models and actresses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter