London: The `panic room`, a secure enclosure for Prince Charles and his family to lock in the event of a terror attack, has been given a makeover.
Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, has overseen the renovation of the `panic room` at his house in Gloucestershire, media reported on Sunday. "It has been transformed," said one of Prince Charles` friends.
The panic room was installed when Charles was still married to Diana, but it has never been spoken about publicly. "It has been completely renovated, so it is in keeping with the style of the rest of the house. All Charles` little touches are there and it is equipped with enough provision so that he could survive inside for a fortnight," he said.
Prince Charles is currently on an official visit to India to attend the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games. According to The Sunday Telegraph, in 2004, it was reported that Charles had a panic room built at his London residence, Clarence House, to protect himself and his sons against terror attacks.
The steel-reinforced safe area was said to be just a few yards from his bedroom so he could use it in an emergency. Inside, there was a telephone with a direct link to royal protection police elsewhere in the building, a number of chairs, a lavatory and a small amount of food and drink. Safe rooms had previously been installed at Buckingham
Palace, Birkhall and Balmoral, the report said.