Prince Charles told to reveal environmental info
London: Prince Charles must lift the veil of
secrecy covering his lucrative 700-year-old royal estate and
answer public requests for environmental information, a
British tribunal has ruled.
The First-Tier Tribunal on information rights said
Thursday that Charles` 136,000-acre (55,000-hectare) estate -
the Duchy of Cornwall -- must abide by some of the same
regulations followed by other government bodies.
The ruling stems from a demand for information made by
environmental activist Michael Bruton, who was concerned over
the Duchy`s oyster farming plans in Port Navas, a protected
area of salt meadows and mudflats about 300 miles (480
kilometres) southwest of London.
The prince had argued that the estate is effectively a
private inheritance and should be exempt from disclosing the
Judge John Angel acknowledged that the estate had a
"historical context which is complicated and possibly unique"
but ruled that it was a public authority for the purpose of
environmental information regulations, which work like freedom
of information laws for environmental issues.
Prince Charles` office said it was still considering
whether to appeal the judgment. Bruton could not immediately
be reached for comment and there was no immediate response
from his group, Port Navas Quay Preservation.
The Duchy of Cornwall was created in 1337 by Edward III
for his son and heir, Prince Edward, in a bid to provide him
and future heirs to the throne an income from its assets.
The land is broken up over 23 counties and includes
residential and business properties besides agricultural
tracts. The largest chunk is in Dartmoor, in southwest
England, where farmers rear cattle and sheep.
It also includes the Isles of Scilly, just off the coast,
which are known for their flower farming.
The duchy earned Charles almost 18 million pounds (USD 29
million) last year. The bulk of the money is used to fund the
prince`s travels and his charity work; the rest is for Charles
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America