Prince Harry begins seven-day US tour
London: Prince Harry on Thursday began his week-long tour of the US, returning to the country for the first time after photographs of the British royal romping naked around a Las Vegas hotel suite were published worldwide in 2012.
Starting with a meeting in Washington DC with workers from a landmine clearance charity supported by his mother late Princess Diana, the 28-year-old plans to meet members of the Halo Trust, of which he is a patron.
He is later scheduled to visit the US capital`s Arlington Cemetery to pay respects to those killed in recent conflicts before travelling on to Colorado.
During the trip, which will also cover New York, Captain Harry Wales will attend the Warrior Games, a sporting championship for injured servicemen and women.
The third in line to the British throne wanted to highlight "once again the extraordinary commitment and sacrifice of our injured servicemen and women – our wounded warriors", the prince`s private secretary said.
"Although a prince, Harry is also an operational soldier – indeed he`s a soldier`s soldier – therefore throughout this briefing the recurring theme is to help recognise and bring a spotlight on to the work being done to help these outstanding young men and women."
The Apache helicopter pilot, Harry, will also support British interests and promote his own charities.
This is his first return to the US since being pictured naked in Las Vegas in 2012, after he had reportedly been playing "strip billiards" with friends in his hotel room for a private party.
In Washington, the prince will visit Capitol Hill and view a photography exhibition staged by the Halo Trust. He will be escorted by Senator John McCain around the display, which features images of landmine victims and workers clearing ordnance and former landmine sites.
In New York, he will support the Great Campaign, a government initiative which promotes the UK around the world. Harry is also scheduled to attend a baseball event as he promotes a sports programme involving his Royal Foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre