Prince Harry`s Afghan dreams `dashed`
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 16:55
  
London: Prince Harry's dream of returning to Afghanistan to fight militants is said to have been dashed, after the British Army's top brass ruled him out following the Taliban infiltration of the Afghan police force.

According to the Army top brass, sending the Prince to war in Afghanistan is now "virtually impossible", the 'News of the World' reported.

"Getting Harry back on the front line is certainly not a priority right now. The situation there is extremely volatile and an operation involving the third-in-line to the throne would require a lot of planning and secrecy," an unnamed military source was quoted as saying.

Another high-ranking Whitehall source added: "The negatives of his redeployment far outway the positives. It is not on the agenda."

Harry, a lieutenant in the Blues and Royals, is currently taking military helicopter training. In 2007, he spent 10 weeks as a forward air controller directing jets dropping bombs on Taliban positions in Helmand province.

When Harry was in Afghanistan he was treated like any other soldier. He was forced to dive for cover once as a rocket exploded just 50 yards away from him.

A news blackout on the posting was broken by an Australian magazine and then a US Internet site and Harry was forced to return to Britain in late February last year.

The decision is a blow to Harry. After his tour was cut short, he said: "I would love to go back out."

PTI


First Published: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 16:55


comments powered by Disqus