Prince Harry to visit US in May, but no Vegas vacation
London: Prince Harry, trying to shed his image as Britain`s fun-loving royal, is planning an official visit to the United States in May though he won`t tour `sin city` Las Vegas this time.
The 28-year-old grandson of Queen Elizabeth II has not included Las Vegas on his itinerary this time after nude pictures of him from a private visit to the country last year made the wrong kind of headlines across the globe.
"Prince Harry is to tour the US to promote the rehabilitation of injured American and UK troops, publicise his own charities and support British interests," St James`s Palace said here today.
The third-in-line to the British throne will visit several American locations between May 9 and 15, covering Washington DC, Denver, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
He will watch the opening ceremony of the Warrior Games, in Colorado Springs, where injured servicemen and women will compete.
Britain is entering a team for the first time in the games a Paralympic-style competition and the prince is known to be a supporter of the competition, after he met UK troops who took part as individuals last year.
He will also meet survivors of Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey and plans to stage a fundraising Sentebale Polo Cup match in Connecticut, in aid of his African-based charity which supports orphans and vulnerable children in Lesotho.
"Prince Harry wants to highlight once again the extraordinary commitment and sacrifice of our injured servicemen and women our wounded warriors," Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, the prince`s private secretary, said.
"Although a prince, Harry is also an operational soldier indeed he`s a soldier`s soldier therefore throughout this briefing the recurring theme is to help recognise and bring a spotlight on to the work being done to help these outstanding young men and women," Lowther-Pinkerton said.
On his last visit to the country in August 2012, Harry had been embarrassed after naked photographs of him with a woman in a Vegas hotel room emerged after a game of strip billiards.
"I probably let myself down... I let my family down, I let other people down," he had said in reference to the incident.
However, the fun-loving royal is unlikely to be entirely devoid of partying during his upcoming visit to the US and is set to meet some Hollywood celebrities at a reception hosted by New York mayor Michael Bloomberg.
The younger of Prince Charles` and the late Princess Diana`s sons has often courted the wrong kind of media attention, including being caught in a Nazi uniform at a fancy dress event back in 2005 and brawling with paparazzi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings