Prince Philip attends public event after latest illness
London: Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, on Sunday made his first public appearance to attend a church service after recovering from the latest bout of illness.
The Prince, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, accompanied the Queen to Crathie Church, which is only a short distance from Balmoral where they are staying.
The 91-year-old Prince spent five nights at the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary as a "precaution" after a recurrence of a bladder infection he had in June.
It was his third hospital stay in nine months. On Friday, Buckingham Palace said he continued to "recover well".
A palace spokesperson also confirmed the duke would not attend the opening ceremony of the Paralympic Games, which takes place on Wednesday in London.
He had been due to accompany the Queen, who will officially open the Games. Instead he will remain at the family`s Scotland estate, Balmoral, in Aberdeenshire, the BBC reported.
Other members of the royal family at Sunday`s service included the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay - Charles and Camilla - the Earl and Countess of Wessex - Sophie and Edward - and Princess Anne.
Prince Philip`s latest admission to hospital followed a recurrence of an infection he suffered shortly before the Queen`s Diamond Jubilee concert on June 4, which he had to miss.
He spent five nights in hospital then with a bladder infection after braving the elements during the Diamond Jubilee Pageant on the River Thames.
Prince Philip, who is the longest-serving royal consort in British history, also spent four nights in hospital over Christmas after an operation to clear a blocked heart artery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31