Prince William and Kate choose London home
London: Prince William and his wife Catherine have chosen to make the former apartment of Princess Margaret their permanent London residence, his office said on Sunday.
The pair, who married at Westminster Abbey in April to become the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, will move into Kensington Palace in two years` time after major structural repairs have been carried out.
They currently use another smaller property in the palace when in the city.
William`s late mother Diana, Princess of Wales, also had an apartment at Kensington Palace before her death in a Paris car crash in 1997.
The Duke is a Royal Air Force search and rescue helicopter pilot and currently works and lives with Catherine in north Wales when not carrying out royal duties.
Structural work will be carried out on the palace`s heating and hot water systems as well as electrical wiring. Large amounts of asbestos will also have to be removed before they can move in.
The palace, remodelled by architect Christopher Wren who created St Paul`s Cathedral, has been a royal residence since 1689. Princess Margaret lived there for more than 40 years until her death in 2002.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference