Prince William and Kate choose London home
London: Prince William and his wife Catherine have chosen to make the former apartment of Princess Margaret their permanent London residence, his office said on Sunday.
The pair, who married at Westminster Abbey in April to become the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, will move into Kensington Palace in two years` time after major structural repairs have been carried out.
They currently use another smaller property in the palace when in the city.
William`s late mother Diana, Princess of Wales, also had an apartment at Kensington Palace before her death in a Paris car crash in 1997.
The Duke is a Royal Air Force search and rescue helicopter pilot and currently works and lives with Catherine in north Wales when not carrying out royal duties.
Structural work will be carried out on the palace`s heating and hot water systems as well as electrical wiring. Large amounts of asbestos will also have to be removed before they can move in.
The palace, remodelled by architect Christopher Wren who created St Paul`s Cathedral, has been a royal residence since 1689. Princess Margaret lived there for more than 40 years until her death in 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016: Check rajeduboard.nic.in for BSER/RBSE 8th board result 2016
- Cong MLAs, Rashid stage walkout from J&K Assembly
- Shocking CCTV footage of deadly suicide blasts at Istanbul's Ataturk airport captured: Watch
- Kejriwal chides Goa CM over tainted relative
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet brings cheers for Armed forces; salary more than doubled