Prince William has Indian ancestry, proves DNA
London: Prince William, second-in-line to the throne, will be the first British king with proven Indian ancestry, DNA analysis has revealed.
The DNA analysis of saliva samples taken from the Duke of Cambridge`s relatives has established a direct lineage between the 30-year-old prince and an Indian housekeeper on his mother Princess Diana`s side.
It is his only non-European DNA and means he will become the first head of the Commonwealth with a clear genetic link to its most populous nation - India.
William is now likely to be encouraged to make his debut mission to India soon after the birth of his baby in July.
Researchers have uncovered the details of his lineage via a doomed relationship of William`s Indian great-great-great-great-great grandmother.
Eliza Kewark was housekeeper to Prince William`s great grandfather Theodore Forbes (1788-1820), a Scottish merchant who worked for the East India Company in the port town of Surat in Gujarat.
Eliza`s mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) was passed on by her daughters and granddaughters directly in an unbroken line to Princess Diana and then on to Prince William and Prince Harry.
Eliza is claimed to have been Armenian, possibly because her surname is rather like the Armenian name Kevork and letters from her to Forbes have been found which contain Armenian script.
This in turn suggests a degree of Armenian cultural heritage and the possibility that her father may have been of Armenian descent.
"But we believe that all the evidence we have gathered shows that her genetic heritage through her motherline is Indian," Britains DNA, a DNA ancestry testing company, said in a release.
"Princes William and Harry carry Eliza Kewark`s markers but will not pass this Indian mtDNA onto their children, as mtDNA is only passed from mother to child," it added.
Jim Wilson, a genetics expert at the University of Edinburgh and Britains DNA who carried out the tests, said that Eliza`s descendants had an incredibly rare type of mtDNA, inherited only from a mother.
It has so far been recorded in only 14 other people, 13 Indian and one Nepalese.
The revelation explains why the Scottish father of Eliza`s children suddenly deserted her and sent their daughter, Katherine, to Britain at the age of six
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks