Princess Diana`s niece charged with assault in South Africa
London: Britain`s late Princess Diana`s niece has been charged with assault by South African police after she allegedly took part in a foul-mouthed and violent attack on a cab passenger in Cape Town, a media report said.
Lady Amelia Spencer, the 18-year-old daughter of Diana`s brother Earl Spencer, was with a male friend when the couple got into a row after the taxi cut in front of their car at 2.30 am at a restaurant in Cape Town last month, the `Daily Express` reported.
Lady Amelia, whose mother is Earl Spencer`s first wife Victoria Lockwood, is said to have got out to remonstrate and allegedly beat the taxi`s bodywork in a rage. She allegedly hurled abuse at passenger Ricci Cinti, 27, a fitter who was on crutches from a football injury.
Cinti claimed that Lady Amelia and her male friend pulled the taxi door open and knocked him down. The man is alleged to have punched Cinti in the side of the head. He was later given a brain scan and treated overnight in hospital for a swollen jaw, the report said.
The police said the blonde heiress, a cousin of Prince William and Prince Harry, then fled the scene, in Green Point, downtown Cape Town.
Lady Amelia, who lives in Cape Town with her sister Kitty, 20, twin Eliza and brother Louis, 16, was fingerprinted after being traced through the car registration plates.
When the incident was made public yesterday, her father hit back, claiming she had been assaulted first and had decided to press charges against the injured man.
Earl Spencer, 46, said: "It is upsetting that a man who assaulted my daughter should try to press charges against her when she had merely reacted in self-defence."
Lady Amelia is due to appear before a Cape Town court on February 01 charged with common assault.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan