Prison time cut for al Qaeda cook at Guantanamo
San Juan: A US military legal official has reduced the sentence of an al Qaeda cook who was convicted at a war crimes tribunal at Guantanamo under a plea deal, suspending all but two years of his 14-year sentence, the Pentagon said on Wednesday.
The Convening Authority for Military Commissions, which presides over the war crimes tribunals at the US base in Cuba, suspended the sentence for Ibrahim al-Qosi contingent on his meeting the terms of the plea agreement, the military said in a statement.
Al-Qosi, one of the first terrorism suspects taken to Guantanamo in 2002, pleaded guilty in July to supporting terrorism by providing logistical support to al Qaeda.
The 50-year-old from Sudan faced up to life in prison if convicted at trial. The terms of his plea deal were not publicly revealed, and the Pentagon refused to confirm a report at the time from the Arabic broadcaster Al Arabiya that it had agreed to return him home after two years.
A military jury was convened at the base to sentence al-Qosi in August. The judge told the 10 US military officers on the panel that they could impose a sentence of between 12 and 15 years and they were not told of the terms of the plea deal.
But the final say in the matter comes from the Convening Authority, which reviews all actions taken in the war crimes tribunals. The Pentagon said the authority, retired Navy Vice Adm. Bruce McDonald, approved the sentence but said he was suspending all but two years from July 07, 2010.
The suspension is contingent on a number of conditions, including that Al-Qosi not engage in "hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners”.
Al-Qosi, 50, did not receive credit for the more than eight years he had spent at Guantanamo before his conviction.
He has been imprisoned since his conviction at Guantanamo, where the US holds about 172 men.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof