Prison time cut for al Qaeda cook at Guantanamo
San Juan: A US military legal official has reduced the sentence of an al Qaeda cook who was convicted at a war crimes tribunal at Guantanamo under a plea deal, suspending all but two years of his 14-year sentence, the Pentagon said on Wednesday.
The Convening Authority for Military Commissions, which presides over the war crimes tribunals at the US base in Cuba, suspended the sentence for Ibrahim al-Qosi contingent on his meeting the terms of the plea agreement, the military said in a statement.
Al-Qosi, one of the first terrorism suspects taken to Guantanamo in 2002, pleaded guilty in July to supporting terrorism by providing logistical support to al Qaeda.
The 50-year-old from Sudan faced up to life in prison if convicted at trial. The terms of his plea deal were not publicly revealed, and the Pentagon refused to confirm a report at the time from the Arabic broadcaster Al Arabiya that it had agreed to return him home after two years.
A military jury was convened at the base to sentence al-Qosi in August. The judge told the 10 US military officers on the panel that they could impose a sentence of between 12 and 15 years and they were not told of the terms of the plea deal.
But the final say in the matter comes from the Convening Authority, which reviews all actions taken in the war crimes tribunals. The Pentagon said the authority, retired Navy Vice Adm. Bruce McDonald, approved the sentence but said he was suspending all but two years from July 07, 2010.
The suspension is contingent on a number of conditions, including that Al-Qosi not engage in "hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners”.
Al-Qosi, 50, did not receive credit for the more than eight years he had spent at Guantanamo before his conviction.
He has been imprisoned since his conviction at Guantanamo, where the US holds about 172 men.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'