Private dailies` Myanmar debut sets off free media buzz in China
Beijing: The military-ruled Myanmar allowing privately-owned dailies to publish for the first time in decades has put China in a piquant spot as its vocal netizens asked when will the communist nation follow suit.
"Looks like China has got one less `friend` now," wrote a netizen in the microblog `Should we wait until North Korea bans their media censorship?`
"This (freedom to publish) is the real Chinese dream," wrote a netizen, the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post reported.
It was the dream embraced by editors at state-owned China`s Southern Weekly when their New Year`s daily editorial originally titled `China`s dream: the dream of constitutionalism` was censored leading to agitation by its journalists.
The article was revised to a piece praising the ruling Communist Party of China and called it `We are closer than ever before to our dreams`.
Journalists, editors and concerned citizens across the country later joined the Southern Weekly to protest against the party`s media censorship.
Though Chinese print and television media have expanded rapidly in recent years, most of it is either owned by the government or the CPC.
This raised the prospects of microblogging in the country which has now touched about 300 million users.
The government brought in new rules to curb the flourishing microblogging media akin to Chinese version of Twitter but the media has still emerged as the fastest growing in China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared