Pro-Indian Mexican bishop Samuel Ruiz dies
Mexico City: A Roman Catholic bishop famed as a defender of Mexican Indian rights has died at the age of 86.
Mexican Bishop Samuel Ruiz, who mediated an end to the Zapatista rebel uprising and was seen as a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1995, died in hospital on Monday, his family said.
Ruiz was credited with ensuring the bloody revolt in the southern state of Chiapas in 1994, in which 150 people died, was short-lived, eventually pushing the government and rebels to agree ceasefires and piecemeal peace accords that helped stifle the conflict.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton paid tribute to Ruiz during a one-day visit to Mexico on Monday. "I have been told by my colleagues that he was a tireless mediator," Hillary told a news conference in the city of Guanajuato.
Mexican President Felipe Calderon also praised Ruiz, who died of a respiratory infection in Mexico City.
Masked Zapatista leader Subcomandante Marcos launched the armed struggle for indigenous rights on January 01 1994, emerging from a jungle lair to briefly capture the attention of the world`s media with his signature black ski mask and pipe.
The Zapatistas have lost much of their influence inside Mexico, while Marcos has turned to writing romantic fiction. But the movement still inspires leftist groups in Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark