Pro-Russian militants free 56 Ukrainian `hostages`: Security service
Kiev: More than 50 people held "hostage" by pro-Russian militants who seized a security building in eastern Ukraine have been released, the state security service said on Wednesday.
Ukraine`s SBU security agency said on Tuesday that separatists who had seized its regional headquarters in Lugansk on Sunday had mined the building and were holding 60 people "hostage".
The SBU said on Wednesday that 56 people had walked free thanks to two rounds of negotiations.
The agency did not specify how many people were still allegedly being held against their will inside the barricaded building.
"No one was injured," the SBU statement said.
"In order to minimise the risks to the lives and safety of citizens, the negotiations process is continuing."
The brief statement said the negotiations were led by several lawmakers from Ukraine`s parliament,
without saying which party they represented.
The SBU said on Tuesday that "Lugansk separatists have mined the SBU building and taken 60 hostages."
But it never explained how it obtained the information or why it was released only two days after the raid.
The Lugansk attack occurred on the same day that militants also took control of the main administration offices of the eastern cities of Kharkiv and Donetsk.
The Kharkiv regional building was retaken by Ukrainian security personnel on Tuesday morning.
But the pro-Russians remained in control of the Donetsk office a day after proclaiming the creation of a sovereign "people`s republic" and calling on the Kremlin to send in its troops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department