Probe request against Keith Vaz rejected
London: A fresh demand for a probe into the alleged financial irregularities by Indian origin Labour MP Keith Vaz has been rejected by Britain`s Parliamentary Standards Commissioner Tuesday.
Conservative MP, Andrew Bridgen had sought a fresh probe by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards after the Daily Telegraph on October 1 reported that the earlier police investigation had discovered that funds in bank accounts linked to Vaz were "of a suspicious nature".
Vaz, currently the Chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee denied any wrong doing and said the report referred to two parliamentary inquiries that began in 1999 and concluded in 2003.
He told a news agency the 500,000 pounds deposited in his account between 1997 and 2001 was from the sale of his family home in London.
In a statement today, a spokeswoman for Vaz said "Keith Vaz received a copy of a letter today from the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner, Sir John Lyon to the Conservative MP for North West Leicestershire Andrew Bridgen stating that he would reject Bridgen`s complaint against Vaz which was based on an article in the Daily Telegraph."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof