Professor accused in Alabama slayings likely insane: Lawyer
Huntsville: The lawyer for an Alabama college professor accused of killing three colleagues during a faculty meeting said on Thursday he believes the teacher is insane, and that she says she can`t remember the shootings.
Amy Bishop, who has a doctorate from Harvard University and has taught at the University of Alabama in Huntsville since 2003, has severe mental problems that appear to be paranoid schizophrenia, said Roy W Miller, her court-appointed attorney.
Miller spoke in an interview with a news agency on the same day hundreds of mourners attended the first funeral and memorial services for Bishop`s slain co-workers.
Bishop`s failure to obtain tenure at the University of Alabama in Huntsville was likely a key to the shootings last Friday, Miller said. Miller said the Harvard-educated Bishop apparently was incensed that a lesser-known school rejected her for what amounted to a lifetime job.
"Obviously she was very distraught and concerned over that tenure," Miller said. "It insulted her and slapped her in the face, and it`s probably tied in with the Harvard mentality. She brooded and brooded and brooded over it, and then, `bingo.`"
Authorities said three more people were hurt when Bishop pulled out a handgun and started shooting during a routine meeting with colleagues. Charged with capital murder and attempted murder, she is being held without bond.
Miller said Bishop seems "very cogent" in jail, where he has spent more than three hours with her over two days, yet she also seems to realise she has a loose grip on reality.
"She gets at issue with people that she doesn`t need to and obsesses on it," Miller said. "She won`t shake it off, and it`s really (things of) no great consequence."
Bishop, who claims an IQ of 180, can`t explain the shootings, he said.
"She says she does not remember anything about it," said Miller.
The chief prosecutor in Huntsville said he would not oppose a mental evaluation for Bishop, 45.
"In this case as in all cases, if they want to start talking about a mental defence, then have at it. We`ll be ready when it comes to court," said Madison County District Attorney Robert Broussard.
Miller said he expects prosecutors to seek the death penalty, but Broussard said his office hasn`t decided whether to seek Bishop`s execution or a sentence of life without parole if she is convicted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`