Progress made in Mideast peace talks: John Kerry
Ramallah: US Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday said progress was made in his efforts to revive peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians.
Kerry has been in the region since Thursday for discussions with Palestinian and Israeli leaders. He is on his fifth visit to the region since he began his task in March, Xinhua reported.
However, after a meeting with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah on Sunday, Kerry said there were some matters that needed to be settled first to complete the progress.
Kerry promised to reveal more details.
Negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians stopped in 2010 over a dispute on Israel`s settlement building in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
Saeb Erekat, the chief Palestinian negotiator, said Kerry`s meeting with Abbas was "positive and thorough".
He said the Palestinians were cooperating positively with Kerry, and accused Israel of "putting obstacles on the way of peace", referring to Israel`s plans to build 930 new settler homes in an East Jerusalem settlement.
"We do not have conditions to resume the negotiations," Erekat said.
"When we call for the principle of the two-state solution, stopping the settlements and releasing the old prisoners, we are talking about Israeli commitments, not Palestinian conditions," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands