Proliferation of weapons a cause of concern: NY police chief
Washington: Citing the Mumbai attacks, where the terrorists used very simple weapons, and the Boston bombings, where the perpetrators used easy-to-make bombs, the police chief of New York on Sunday expressed concern over proliferation of guns and other weapons in the United States.
"Yes, absolutely," New York police chief Raymond Kelly, told Fareed Zakaria`s GPS programme on CNN when asked if easy accessibility of guns and other instruments of destruction is something that worries him.
"You know, we`re concerned. We sent a team to Mumbai and we got very granular information very quickly. And that`s what we do with officers that we have assigned throughout the world, go to the scenes of terrorist events, bring back information to help us better protect the city," Kelly said.
"But if you look at the events in Mumbai, they were done with very, very simple weapons. And clearly, we know, in this country, the proliferation of weapons. We have about 300 million guns in our country. So, yes, it`s -- a concern," he said.
"If you look at the bombs that were used in Boston, very simple to make. Inspire magazine, as you know, put out in 2010 -- that information is all over the Internet, its very easy to find out how to build a pretty effective bomb. So the proliferation of weapons, handguns, rifles and certainly bomb-making materials, made out of ordinary even household items is very much a concern for us," Kelly said.
Noting that he hasn`t seen an increase in threats for New York City, Kelly said the operating assumption is that the Big Apple is always at risk.
"We`re a city that obviously had two horrific attacks here: 1993, 2001. We have had 16 plots against the city since then. So we are on alert all the time. We`d see no -- there`s no recourse, but to be on alert," he said.
New York City has the biggest police force in the US.
"We have 35,000 uniformed officers. We`re able to mass officers in significant numbers if we had to. So sure, we do variations of things much more almost on a daily basis in the city of this size, 8.4 million people. So I mean if something like this happened in New York, god forbid, we would have our own resources, I think, that would enable us to do a comprehensive search," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared