Prominent Mexicans call for decriminalising marijuana use
Mexico City: A group of 67 prominent Mexican artists, politicians, intellectuals and attorneys Wednesday called for full decriminalisation of marijuana consumption.
The petition, published in several dailies, was signed by actors Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna, writers Angeles Mastretta, Juan Villoro and Javier Sicilia, attorneys Fernando Gomez Mont and Agustin Acosta, and former Health Secretary Julio Frenk, among others.
The signatories noted that 60 percent of inmates in Mexico`s federal penitentiaries have been sentenced for drug offenses and that, of those prisoners, 58.7 percent were behind bars for marijuana-related crimes.
They also said that marijuana is far less addictive than tobacco.
"Criminalisation increases the (street) price of drugs," while Mexico`s drug cartels get much of their revenue from marijuana sales, the petition added.
"This exorbitant income is used to purchase weapons, pay hitmen, and bribe public officials. Decriminalisation would reduce that income, which is not replaceable by other organised crime activities (kidnapping, extortion and robbery)," they said.
"Mexico has paid a high price for applying the punitive policy of prohibition," the petition said, adding that although "neither decriminalisation nor any other individual measure is a panacea that will do away with violence, corruption and insecurity", it would be "a step in the right direction".
Mexico`s former president Felipe Calderon gave the armed forces the leading role in the struggle with the cartels. The militarisation strategy was accompanied by an explosion of violence and the drug war claimed around 70,000 lives during his 2006-2012 term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!