Promotion of gay rights to be illegal in Russia
London: A public kiss between two men could be defined as illegal ``homosexual propaganda`` and may bring a fine of up to 10,000 pounds, according to an upcoming legislation in Russia.
The Russian Orthodox Church and the Kremlin has advanced the legislation, which includes a ban on public events promoting gay rights and also would make it illegal to tell minors information that is defined as ``propaganda of sodomy, lesbianism, bisexuality and transgenderism``, the Daily Mail reports.
According to reports, the bill is the part of an effort by the Kremlin and the church for the promotion of traditional Russian values over Western liberalism, which they see as the corruption of Russian youths and contributing to protests against President Vladimir Putin`s rule.
Average Russians have met the move mostly with either indifference or open enthusiasm, which can be seen in surveys conducted the Levada Centre, an independent pollster.
Levada polls had also shown that a majority of Russians find homosexuality morally unacceptable and is the result of sickness or a psychological trauma. Almost half of the Russian population is against gay rallies and same-sex marriage, also according to the polls.
Lawmakers have accused homosexuals of decreasing Russia`s already low birth rates and said they should be barred from government jobs, undergo forced medical treatment or be exiled.
An executive with a government-run television network said in a nationally televised talk show that homosexuals should be stopped from donating blood, sperm and organs for transplants, while after death their hearts should be burned or buried. Russian cities started adopting anti-gay laws in 2006.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India