Prophet Mohammed cartoonist `head-butted`
Stockholm: Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks,
who sparked controversy by drawing Prophet Mohammed was
attacked while giving a lecture at a university, police said.
"The man was sat in the first row and suddenly he
rushed at me. He punched me in the head and I lost my
glasses," said Vilks, adding that at the very most he was "a
Police said around 250 people were present at the time
of the attack at the University of Uppsala, north of the
"When Lars Vilks arrived, five persons started to
protest against him with screaming. They calmed down and the
"When Lars Vilks talked about religion and showed a
film, 20 persons tried to attack him, probably offended by the
Police evacuated the lecture hall but some
demonstrators resisted forcing officers to use tear gas. Two
people were arrested.
In 2007, Swedish regional daily Nerikes Allehanda
published Vilks` satirical cartoon to illustrate an editorial
on the importance of freedom of expression.
The cartoon prompted protests by Muslims in the town
of Oerebro, west of Stockholm, where the newspaper is based,
while Egypt, Iran and Pakistan made formal complaints.
An al-Qaeda front organisation then offered USD
100,000 to anyone who murdered Vilks -- with an extra 50,000
if his throat was slit -- and USD 50,000 for the death of
Nerikes Allehanda editor-in-chief Ulf Johansson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title