Prophet Mohammed cartoonist `head-butted`
Stockholm: Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks,
who sparked controversy by drawing Prophet Mohammed was
attacked while giving a lecture at a university, police said.
"The man was sat in the first row and suddenly he
rushed at me. He punched me in the head and I lost my
glasses," said Vilks, adding that at the very most he was "a
Police said around 250 people were present at the time
of the attack at the University of Uppsala, north of the
"When Lars Vilks arrived, five persons started to
protest against him with screaming. They calmed down and the
"When Lars Vilks talked about religion and showed a
film, 20 persons tried to attack him, probably offended by the
Police evacuated the lecture hall but some
demonstrators resisted forcing officers to use tear gas. Two
people were arrested.
In 2007, Swedish regional daily Nerikes Allehanda
published Vilks` satirical cartoon to illustrate an editorial
on the importance of freedom of expression.
The cartoon prompted protests by Muslims in the town
of Oerebro, west of Stockholm, where the newspaper is based,
while Egypt, Iran and Pakistan made formal complaints.
An al-Qaeda front organisation then offered USD
100,000 to anyone who murdered Vilks -- with an extra 50,000
if his throat was slit -- and USD 50,000 for the death of
Nerikes Allehanda editor-in-chief Ulf Johansson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire