Prosecutors file murder charges in Brazil fire
Sao Paulo: Prosecutors have filed charges against eight people in connection with a deadly nightclub fire in southern Brazil that killed 241 people earlier this year.
The January 27 fire roared through the crowded, windowless Kiss nightclub in the city of Santa Maria, filling the air with flames and thick, toxic smoke.
Police have said the band performing at the club lit a flare, which ignited flammable soundproofing foam on the ceiling. That released a deadly combination of cyanide, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide.
Prosecutor David Medina yesterday said in a press conference that the two owners of the nightclub and two members of the band have been charged with murder.
Two others were charged with perjury and two with evidence tampering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police