Prosecutors open probe into Ukraine Parliament fight
Kiev: Prosecutors have opened a criminal probe into the fighting that broke out in Ukraine`s Parliament this week during a debate over a Russian naval base, a spokesman for Kiev prosecutors said on Thursday.
"The Kiev prosecutors have opened a criminal enquiry into the hooliganism carried out by a group of deputies in the Verkhovna Rada," a spokesman for prosecutors in the Ukrainian capital said.
In a chaotic parliamentary session on Tuesday, pro-Western opposition lawmakers hurled eggs and smoke bombs while fistfights broke out in the benches.
The tumult broke out as the Verkhovna Rada was debating ratification of a controversial deal to extend the lease of a Russian naval base on Ukraine`s Crimea Peninsula for 25 more years.
Pro-Western opposition parties considered the deal a violation of Ukraine`s sovereignty and a selling-out of national interests to the country`s giant neighbour Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her