Protect computers from US hackers: Hong Kong varsity to staff
Beijing: Staff and students at the Chinese University in Hong Kong have been warned to secure their computers following recent revelations by CIA operative Edward Snowden that the varsity was the target of US cyber attacks.
An e-mail sent by the information security section of the University to all students and staff said, "protecting our data and information against hackers has recently become the talk of the town."
Titled "Information security reminder - Keep your data out of hackers` reach!", the e-mail is understood to have landed in the inboxes of about 14,800 students and more than 7,500 staff yesterday, the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post reported today.
The mail included more than a dozen specific "do`s and don`ts" on how to block unauthorised access to personal data.
"We strive to protect all data processed and stored by the central information systems and data that flow through our campus network," the e-mail read.
"But there are also simple practices that you may adopt to keep your valuable information and data out of hackers` reach," it said.
The caution came just over two weeks after whistle-blower Snowden told the Post before he left Hong Kong to Moscow that the Beijing-based Tsinghua University was among the targets of a US cyberspying programme besides Hong Kong University.
Snowden singled out Chinese University as one of several Hong Kong and mainland institutions targeted by US National Security Agency hackers.
Citing Snowden revelations, China said it proved the charge that it is a victim of cyber attacks from US.
The e-mail asked students and staff to protect computers by updating antivirus software, enabling a personal firewall and putting a password on all devices, as well as specific files like Excel or PDF documents.
It warned users not to store confidential data on smartphones and tablets and, if sending such information over the web, to encrypt the files first.
For extra security, it suggested using a digital certificate when sending a sensitive e-mail so that only the intended recipient would see it.
Other "don`ts" covered basic IT security such as not opening suspicious e-mails or disclosing passwords.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception