Protest in Egypt in support of activists
Cairo: Protesters on Tuesday night gathered at the High Court here to show their support for five opposition activists summoned by the Egyptian prosecutor-general to question them over their alleged incitement of clashes at the Muslim Brotherhood headquarters.
Police stepped up their presence outside the court in preparation for the demonstrations.
Last evening, the office of Prosecutor-General Talaat Abdullah summoned renowned blogger Alaa Abdel-Fattah, Popular Current member Ahmed Doma, National Salvation Front member Hazem Abdel-Azim, Constitution Party member Ahmed Eid, activist Karim El-Shaer, and journalist and blogger Nawara Negm for questioning.
Alaa Abdel-Fattah has said he will respond to the summons in order to protect his family from further police harassment.
But the other summoned activists have expressed their will not to respond.
In a stern warning to the opposition, Egyptian President Muhammed Mursi had earlier said that he may be close to taking unspecified measures to "protect this nation".
The summons were made after Brotherhood lawyer Abdel-Moneim Abdel-Maksoud filed complaints with the prosecutor-general against 169 individuals, including party heads, politicians and "thugs" - whom he accused of inciting the violence on Friday.
Among the political figures summoned for questioning were Egyptian Social Democratic Party leader Mohamed Abul-Ghar, Free Egyptians Party member Mahmoud El-Alaily and former Revolution Youth Coalition member Khaled Telima.
Police have so far failed to arrest three Brotherhood workers accused of attacking anti-Brotherhood protesters on Friday.
Nationwide clashes between supporters and opponents of the Muslim Brotherhood on Friday left at least 200 people injured.
The protests took place in response to earlier attacks on anti-Brotherhood protesters by Brotherhood members outside the Islamist group`s headquarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster