Protest in Thailand against govt; police fire tear gas
Bangkok: Thailand on Saturday witnessed the first major protests against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra`s government, with thousands of demonstrators taking to the streets demanding her overthrow for being "a puppet" of her brother -- deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra.
The rally was called by royalist group `Pitak Siam` (Protect Thailand) led by retired general Boonlert Kaewprasit who accused the administration of corruption and not cracking down on those disrespecting the monarchy.
As thousands swarmed the Bangkok`s Royal Plaza and tried to break down the barriers, police fired tear gas shells to quell the irate protesters leaving many injured, the BBC reported.
The police had to call for additional re-enforcements to keep the situation from blowing out.
Earlier in the day, Kaewprasit called for the removal of the government.
"I promise that Pitak Siam will succeed in driving this government out," former Gen Boonlert Kaewprasit said in his address to the rally, the report said.
The protests also brought anti-Shinawatra forces together including "yellow shirt" members of People`s Alliance for Democracy.
The government has invoked the Internal Security Act in three districts of the capital giving police the powers to ban gatherings, block routes and, if need be, carry out searches.
The current protests bring tumultuous politics in Thailand to centrestage and also the role of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who many say controls the government through "remote control”.
He was ousted in 2006 after a military coup and had fled the country in 2008 after being charged with abuse of power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark