Protesters attempt to storm Lebanese PM office
Beirut: Protestors, mostly people who attended the funeral of a Lebanese security official killed in Friday`s car bombing here, attempted Sunday to storm the office of Prime Minister Najib Mikati in the capital centre, reported Xinhua.
According to Xinhua reporters at the scene, policemen resorted to teargas in a bid to disperse the angry crowd, who demanded the resignation of the prime minister and the government following the deadly bombing which left eight people killed, including Wissam Al Hassan, the chief of information department of Lebanon`s Internal Security Forces, and more than 85 others injured.
There were also gunshots into the air by the police, witnesses said, adding that some injuries have occurred during the clashes between policemen and the demonstrators at the Grand Serail.
Mikati Saturday offered to resign after the fatal bombing in Beirut, but later suspended this decision upon the request of President Michel Suleiman.
He explained that Suleiman requested a time frame for him to consult with members of the national dialogue table over his decision to resign.
The Prime Minister`s resignation came after an extraordinary cabinet session held at the Baabda Palace in the wake of the killing of al-Hassan. "This is a national issue and we are keen on preserving the nation. We do not want to leave Lebanon in a vacuum, " he added.
Lebanon`s opposition leader, former prime minister Saad Hariri meanwhile called Sunday on angry mobs protesting the assassination of Al Hassan to immediately "withdraw from the streets."
"I call on all protesters to withdraw from the streets now. We want Lebanon to remain peaceful and democratic," he said.
Future bloc leader and former prime minister Fouad Siniora also called on protesters to demonstrate peacefully and refrain from resorting to any violent actions.
Citizens across the country have been blocking major roads and highways to protest Al Hassan`s killing.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed