Protesters chase Palestinian minister out of Gaza
Gaza City: Palestinian health minister Jawad Awad cancelled a trip to Gaza City`s Shifa hospital today after being confronted by angry protesters as he arrived from Egypt, officials said.
Witnesses said protesters threw shoes and eggs at Awad`s car as he entered Gaza through the Rafah border crossing.
Officials said he left the Palestinian territory shortly afterwards.
Protesters also gathered at Shifa hospital in Gaza City, carrying posters criticising Awad and the recently formed government of technocrats to which he belongs.
The government was sworn in on June 2 following a unity deal between the Islamist Hamas movement and president Mahmud Abbas which ended seven years of rival administrations in the West Bank and Gaza.
"Gaza has been bombed, and Gaza has been destroyed, and now he comes to visit?" protester Ahmed Murtaja said incredulously.
"We don`t want this visit and all the Palestinian people are opposed to it and reject it," he told AFP.
Protesters said they were angry that it had taken Awad eight days to visit Gaza, where 193 people have been killed in Israeli air strikes.
They also condemned the Palestinian president for failing to do more to halt the Israeli campaign, with some chanting: "Abu Mazen (Abbas) is a collaborator."
In a statement, the health ministry condemned the "flagrant and brutal assault" on the minister and his delegation in Rafah, blaming the incident on "media affiliated with Hamas."
Although the reconciliation agreement has held, a lot of bad blood remains between Hamas and the West Bank leadership.
"The ministry of health will continue to stand by our people in Gaza," the statement said, pledging to secure medical supplies for the wounded.
There was no immediate comment from Hamas, but a top member of its exiled politburo, Mussa Abu Marzuq, condemned the incident as "irresponsible and improper" on his Facebook page.
He called for an investigation and prosecution of those responsible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31