Protesters chase Palestinian minister out of Gaza
Gaza City: Palestinian health minister Jawad Awad cancelled a trip to Gaza City`s Shifa hospital today after being confronted by angry protesters as he arrived from Egypt, officials said.
Witnesses said protesters threw shoes and eggs at Awad`s car as he entered Gaza through the Rafah border crossing.
Officials said he left the Palestinian territory shortly afterwards.
Protesters also gathered at Shifa hospital in Gaza City, carrying posters criticising Awad and the recently formed government of technocrats to which he belongs.
The government was sworn in on June 2 following a unity deal between the Islamist Hamas movement and president Mahmud Abbas which ended seven years of rival administrations in the West Bank and Gaza.
"Gaza has been bombed, and Gaza has been destroyed, and now he comes to visit?" protester Ahmed Murtaja said incredulously.
"We don`t want this visit and all the Palestinian people are opposed to it and reject it," he told AFP.
Protesters said they were angry that it had taken Awad eight days to visit Gaza, where 193 people have been killed in Israeli air strikes.
They also condemned the Palestinian president for failing to do more to halt the Israeli campaign, with some chanting: "Abu Mazen (Abbas) is a collaborator."
In a statement, the health ministry condemned the "flagrant and brutal assault" on the minister and his delegation in Rafah, blaming the incident on "media affiliated with Hamas."
Although the reconciliation agreement has held, a lot of bad blood remains between Hamas and the West Bank leadership.
"The ministry of health will continue to stand by our people in Gaza," the statement said, pledging to secure medical supplies for the wounded.
There was no immediate comment from Hamas, but a top member of its exiled politburo, Mussa Abu Marzuq, condemned the incident as "irresponsible and improper" on his Facebook page.
He called for an investigation and prosecution of those responsible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital