Protesters torch police station as Kerry arrives in Egypt
Cairo: As US Secretary of State John Kerry landed in Cairo Saturday for talks to help overcome the country`s economic crisis, Egyptian protesters torched a police station in the Suez Canal city of Port Said.
Some 500 people hurled stones and petrol bombs at the police station in Port Said, setting it ablaze, local police officials said.
Clashes between protesters and police have also intensified in Egypt`s Nile Delta city of Mansoura where one person died after being hit by a Central Security Forces (CSF) vehicle Friday.
Dozens were injured in the early hours of Saturday when fresh clashes broke out in the Nile Delta city. Egypt`s Interior Ministry said 21 police officers were injured in the protests.
The protests came as Kerry arrived in Cairo on his first official visit to Egypt as secretary of state. During his two-day visit, Kerry will discuss the $4.8 billion International Monetary Fund loan package desperately needed to boost the country`s ailing economy.
The talks with Egyptian leaders will also focus the Palestinian peace process, the Syrian crisis as well as the preparations for Egypt`s parliamentary elections, scheduled for April.
Meanwhile, Egypt`s opposition leaders Mohammed ElBaradei and Hamdeen Sabahi have rejected the invitations for talks with Kerry. "We want to send a message that we reject US pressure," Sabahi told private broadcaster ONTV Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata