Protesters torch police station as Kerry arrives in Egypt
Cairo: As US Secretary of State John Kerry landed in Cairo Saturday for talks to help overcome the country`s economic crisis, Egyptian protesters torched a police station in the Suez Canal city of Port Said.
Some 500 people hurled stones and petrol bombs at the police station in Port Said, setting it ablaze, local police officials said.
Clashes between protesters and police have also intensified in Egypt`s Nile Delta city of Mansoura where one person died after being hit by a Central Security Forces (CSF) vehicle Friday.
Dozens were injured in the early hours of Saturday when fresh clashes broke out in the Nile Delta city. Egypt`s Interior Ministry said 21 police officers were injured in the protests.
The protests came as Kerry arrived in Cairo on his first official visit to Egypt as secretary of state. During his two-day visit, Kerry will discuss the $4.8 billion International Monetary Fund loan package desperately needed to boost the country`s ailing economy.
The talks with Egyptian leaders will also focus the Palestinian peace process, the Syrian crisis as well as the preparations for Egypt`s parliamentary elections, scheduled for April.
Meanwhile, Egypt`s opposition leaders Mohammed ElBaradei and Hamdeen Sabahi have rejected the invitations for talks with Kerry. "We want to send a message that we reject US pressure," Sabahi told private broadcaster ONTV Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi