Protesters try to disrupt UN climate talks in Copenhagen
Copenhagen: Hundreds of protesters marched on Wednesday toward a Copenhagen conference center where delegates were discussing a global climate pact, and a spokesman said they planned to break through a police cordon.
The demonstrators set out from Taarnby, a suburb of Copenhagen a few kilometers (miles) from the Bella Center conference facility where 190 governments were meeting. Light snow flurries fell as they started their march.
Climate Justice Action, which organized the march, said 1,000 people were expected to take part. Police declined to estimate the number of protesters.
"We will get past the police cordon so that we can hold a popular assembly and discuss with delegates from the summit ... to get a climate solution," spokesman Peter Nielsen said on Danish TV2 news.
"The police have tried to get in our way all week now," he said. "This is a question of resolving a global problem, and we will not hold people back."
It remained unclear if they would attempt to enter the building or only get past high fences surrounding the conference center.
"In front of the Bella Center, we will meet with NGOs and social movements who were excluded from the negotiations and who will make a protest because their voices can`t be heard," Nielsen said.
He said demonstrators would also converge on the Bella Center from other directions.
"So we can definitely say that there already now are 1,000 people who will participate in the protest," Nielsen said.
A Copenhagen police spokeswoman said the police would stop anyone who tried to break into the conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?