Protesters try to disrupt UN climate talks in Copenhagen
Copenhagen: Hundreds of protesters marched on Wednesday toward a Copenhagen conference center where delegates were discussing a global climate pact, and a spokesman said they planned to break through a police cordon.
The demonstrators set out from Taarnby, a suburb of Copenhagen a few kilometers (miles) from the Bella Center conference facility where 190 governments were meeting. Light snow flurries fell as they started their march.
Climate Justice Action, which organized the march, said 1,000 people were expected to take part. Police declined to estimate the number of protesters.
"We will get past the police cordon so that we can hold a popular assembly and discuss with delegates from the summit ... to get a climate solution," spokesman Peter Nielsen said on Danish TV2 news.
"The police have tried to get in our way all week now," he said. "This is a question of resolving a global problem, and we will not hold people back."
It remained unclear if they would attempt to enter the building or only get past high fences surrounding the conference center.
"In front of the Bella Center, we will meet with NGOs and social movements who were excluded from the negotiations and who will make a protest because their voices can`t be heard," Nielsen said.
He said demonstrators would also converge on the Bella Center from other directions.
"So we can definitely say that there already now are 1,000 people who will participate in the protest," Nielsen said.
A Copenhagen police spokeswoman said the police would stop anyone who tried to break into the conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?