Protests can harm Olympic bid: Istanbul mayor
Istanbul: Istanbul`s mayor on Monday warned that prolonged protests in Turkey could turn the city`s hopes of hosting the 2020 Olympics into a distant "dream."
Weeks of anti-government demonstrations in Istanbul and elsewhere in the country have largely subsided. However, with an IOC decision on the host city less than three months away, Kadir Topbas urged protesters not to persist with the demonstrations.
"We have now entered the final stages of the 2020 Olympic (bidding)," Topbas said. "If these (incidents) continue and there are problems, the 2020 games will be nothing but a dream."
"The (Turkish nation) stands to lose, Istanbul stands to lose. We all know who will gain," he said.
Istanbul is making its fifth bid for the Olympics and is competing against Madrid and Tokyo. The IOC, which will select the host city on September 7 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, is scheduled to issue its evaluation report on the three cities` bids.
Images of violence during the protests, including police firing tear gas and water cannon at protesters, have tarnished Turkey`s image and posed serious challenge for the Olympic bid.
The Istanbul bid committee has said that the feedback from IOC members and other Olympic officials has been positive and understanding.
The protests were sparked May 31 by a crackdown on environmental activists who opposed plans to remove trees and develop Istanbul`s Gezi Park.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state