Puerto Rican woman sentenced to 99 years in baby`s death
San Juan: A San Juan court Tuesday sentenced a woman to 99 years behind bars for the death of her five-month-old baby and for hiding his body in a freezer.
Judge Harry Massanet Pastrana handed down his decision after Xiomara Rodriguez Flores, 26, pleaded guilty to one charge of murder and two others of mistreatment of a minor.
According to the investigation, the baby suffocated on his own vomit after the mother placed him face down on a pillow and went to bed after being bothered by the child`s crying.
The woman`s former boyfriend, Jose Miranda Lopez, also pleaded guilty to a charge of destroying evidence for placing the child in a freezer in the home they shared and to two charges of mistreatment of a minor.
However, the sentencing of Miranda Lopez, 43, was postponed until Oct 1.
The couple, according to the charges, decided to put the baby in a bag in the freezer until they decided what to do with the body.
Puerto Rico Police Chief Hector Pesquera said that two days after the child`s death the family organized a barbecue at the home to which they invited friends and neighbors.
During the celebration, the couple, in a completely normal manner, went to the freezer where they had stashed the baby`s body to remove ice and food.
The macabre deed was discovered after a strange phone call the child`s mother made to a neighbour saying that her boyfriend was holding her prisoner in the house where they lived.
When police came to the home they found the body of the baby in the freezer inside a plastic bag and with his hands tied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday