Punjabi is third-most spoken language in England
London: Punjabi is the third-most spoken language in England and Wales, according to new figures from the 2011 Census that also include other Indian languages.
Nearly one in 10 people in England and Wales - 8 per cent - reported speaking a different main language to English or Welsh in the census, findings from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) have shown.
Punjabi is the third-most spoken language across the country, with 273,000 speakers, mainly in the West Midlands, where it is the second-most spoken language.
The list also includes other Indian languages with Urdu in fourth place, spoken by 269,000 people, followed by Bengali (221,000), Gujarati (213,000) and Tamil as well.
Polish is the second-most commonly reported main language with 546,000 speakers, reflecting more than half a million Poles who migrated to England and Wales during the last decade.
Redcar and Cleveland local authority had the highest percentage of people with English as their main language at 99 per cent of the population, with Ealing listing the highest proportion of Polish speakers.
In all but three of the London boroughs - the City of London, Richmond Upon Thames, and Hillingdon - more than 100 languages were listed as main languages.
Of the four million residents of England and Wales who spoke a main language other than English, 1.7 million said they could speak English very well, 726,000 could speak English but not well and 138,000 could not speak English at all.
The least common main language in England and Wales was listed as Manx-Gaelic with 33 speakers, followed by 58 Gaelic-Scottish speakers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing