Putin backs ban on US adoptions of Russian children
Sydney: Russian President Vladimir Putin has backed pending parliamentary legislation that would make it illegal for Americans to adopt Russian children in reprisal for a new Washington human rights law.
"I understand that this was an emotional response by the State Duma, but I think that it was appropriate," Putin said in the first major press conference of his third term as president.
According to the Herald Sun, he complained bitterly that local US courts had found several Americans not guilty of manslaughter charges following the death of Russian children under their care.
The Russian legislation, awaiting final approval in the Duma lower house of parliament on Friday, is named in honour of a Russian child who suffocated in a locked car during the summer heat.
"The judges will not even let us attend (the US trials) as observers," Putin said.
Russia’s new legislation came about after US President Barack Obama last week signed into law the so-called Magnitsky Act, named in honour of a lawyer who died in 2009 after blowing the whistle on a 235 dollars police embezzlement scheme, the report said.
Magnitsky died under pre-trial arrest that his mother said had exposed him to ‘torture conditions’, the report added.
Putin said the United States had no moral right to pass judgement on Russia``s legal system.
"They themselves have plenty of problems," Putin said of the United States, adding: "I have already talked about this: listen, Abu Ghraib. Guantanamo”.
Putin said the US authorities ‘are holding people in jail for years without charging them. That is unbelievable’.
"And what``s more they don``t just hold them in prison without charge, they hold them in shackles, like in the mediaeval ages," Putin fumed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!