Putin `may` meet Ukraine leader at World Cup: Spokesman
Buenos Aires: Russian President Vladimir Putin could meet with his Ukrainian counterpart Petro Poroshenko at the World Cup final, his spokesman said on Saturday as the crisis between the two countries escalated.
After Brazilian officials said Poroshenko had accepted an invitation to attend tomorrow`s final in Rio de Janeiro, Putin`s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said a meeting between the two could not be ruled out.
"We haven`t prepared any separate meeting, but we have been informed that he will also be there," Peskov told journalists in Buenos Aires, where the Russian president met with his Argentine counterpart Cristina Kirchner ahead of his visit to Brazil to watch the World Cup final.
"There will be a separate table inside the stadium for the leaders, so it is of course impossible to rule out that they could meet."
Putin and Poroshenko spoke briefly last month when their paths crossed at D-Day anniversary celebrations in Normandy, their first meeting since the pro-Western Ukrainian leader was elected in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal