Putin `may` meet Ukraine leader at World Cup: Spokesman
Buenos Aires: Russian President Vladimir Putin could meet with his Ukrainian counterpart Petro Poroshenko at the World Cup final, his spokesman said on Saturday as the crisis between the two countries escalated.
After Brazilian officials said Poroshenko had accepted an invitation to attend tomorrow`s final in Rio de Janeiro, Putin`s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said a meeting between the two could not be ruled out.
"We haven`t prepared any separate meeting, but we have been informed that he will also be there," Peskov told journalists in Buenos Aires, where the Russian president met with his Argentine counterpart Cristina Kirchner ahead of his visit to Brazil to watch the World Cup final.
"There will be a separate table inside the stadium for the leaders, so it is of course impossible to rule out that they could meet."
Putin and Poroshenko spoke briefly last month when their paths crossed at D-Day anniversary celebrations in Normandy, their first meeting since the pro-Western Ukrainian leader was elected in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India