Putin `may` meet Ukraine leader at World Cup: Spokesman
Buenos Aires: Russian President Vladimir Putin could meet with his Ukrainian counterpart Petro Poroshenko at the World Cup final, his spokesman said on Saturday as the crisis between the two countries escalated.
After Brazilian officials said Poroshenko had accepted an invitation to attend tomorrow`s final in Rio de Janeiro, Putin`s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said a meeting between the two could not be ruled out.
"We haven`t prepared any separate meeting, but we have been informed that he will also be there," Peskov told journalists in Buenos Aires, where the Russian president met with his Argentine counterpart Cristina Kirchner ahead of his visit to Brazil to watch the World Cup final.
"There will be a separate table inside the stadium for the leaders, so it is of course impossible to rule out that they could meet."
Putin and Poroshenko spoke briefly last month when their paths crossed at D-Day anniversary celebrations in Normandy, their first meeting since the pro-Western Ukrainian leader was elected in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!