`Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad`
Moscow: The possibility of Moscow providing asylum for embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was not discussed during a conversation between Russian President Vladimir Putin and his US counterpart Barack Obama, a Kremlin official said on Thursday.
"They did not discuss any destination," Putin aide Yury Ushakov said.
The two Presidents spoke on Wednesday, just hours after the death of Syria`s defence minister in a suicide bombing in Damascus.
Ushakov also said the issue was not touched on in a meeting on Wednesday between Putin and Turkish Prime Minster Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Reports in British and Turkish media on Thursday suggested that Assad`s wife, Asma, had fled to Russia after Wednesday`s attack on Syria`s national security headquarters.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov dismissed as a "joke" earlier this month the suggestion that Moscow could offer Assad refuge.
The Kremlin has come under international pressure over its refusal to back UN resolutions against Syria, Russia`s sole remaining ally in the Arab world.
But Russia says it has no interest in seeing Assad remain in power, but that the "Syrian people" should decide his fate.
A UN Security Council vote on a tough, new Western-backed resolution was postponed in the wake of Wednesday`s bombing in Damascus and has been rescheduled for Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price