`Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad`
Moscow: The possibility of Moscow providing asylum for embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was not discussed during a conversation between Russian President Vladimir Putin and his US counterpart Barack Obama, a Kremlin official said on Thursday.
"They did not discuss any destination," Putin aide Yury Ushakov said.
The two Presidents spoke on Wednesday, just hours after the death of Syria`s defence minister in a suicide bombing in Damascus.
Ushakov also said the issue was not touched on in a meeting on Wednesday between Putin and Turkish Prime Minster Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Reports in British and Turkish media on Thursday suggested that Assad`s wife, Asma, had fled to Russia after Wednesday`s attack on Syria`s national security headquarters.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov dismissed as a "joke" earlier this month the suggestion that Moscow could offer Assad refuge.
The Kremlin has come under international pressure over its refusal to back UN resolutions against Syria, Russia`s sole remaining ally in the Arab world.
But Russia says it has no interest in seeing Assad remain in power, but that the "Syrian people" should decide his fate.
A UN Security Council vote on a tough, new Western-backed resolution was postponed in the wake of Wednesday`s bombing in Damascus and has been rescheduled for Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened