Putin, Obama may discuss Syria next week in Bali: Kremlin
Moscow : Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Barack Obama may discuss the Syria crisis on the sidelines of an Asia-Pacific summit next week in Bali, a Kremlin aide said on Thursday.
"It would be rather logical to meet (Obama) in Bali, taking into account the work on the Syrian issue," Putin`s top foreign policy adviser, Yuri Ushakov, told reporters.
He said US and Russian officials were discussing arrangements for a possible meeting during the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit. Putin is expected to leave Moscow for the Indonesian island of Bali on Sunday.
Russia, which is Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s main ally, and the United States have long been at odds over the conflict in Syria.
But the two countries, which are permanent members of the UN Security Council, agreed last month on a plan for the Syrian government to hand over its chemical weapons and are trying to arrange an international peace conference.
Obama and Putin also discussed Syria briefly during a summit of the Group of 20 developed and developing nations in the Russian city of St Petersburg on Sept 5-6.
Relations between Washington and Moscow are strained by a number of issues, including Putin`s record on human rights and democracy.
Obama pulled out of a US-Russia summit in September after Moscow granted temporary asylum to Edward Snowden, the former US spy agency contractor who leaked details of government surveillance programmes and is wanted by the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog