Putin orders crackdown on NGOs
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered a crackdown on "destructive" non-government organisations, saying such groups were behind the mass protests that brought down Ukraine`s government.
Moscow has repeatedly accused the new authorities in Kiev and the protesters who toppled pro-Moscow president Viktor Yanukovych of being extremists, nationalists and even "Nazis".
Today Putin told senior officials at Russia`s FSB security service, the successor to the KGB, that "nationalist and neo-Nazi structures and fighters" in Ukraine had been financed from abroad through non-government organisations (NGOs).
"Russian legislation creates every condition for transparent free activities by NGOs, but we will never let them be used for destructive aims the way it happened in Ukraine," Putin said.
"We need to see a difference between civilised opposition to the authorities and serving others` national interests to the detriment of one`s own country," Putin said in remarks released by the Kremlin.
Since returning to the Kremlin for a third term in 2012, Putin has tightened controls over NGOs, signing legislation forcing those with international funding to register themselves as "foreign agents."
In February, seven activists who took part in a rally against Putin`s return to the Kremlin were jailed for up to four years and a prominent environmentalist who criticised the impact of the Sochi Olympics was jailed for three years over a protest.
Putin, who served as a KGB agent in East Germany, headed the service`s post-Soviet successor, the FSB, between 1998 and 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence