Putin ready to approve same-sex couples adoption ban
Moscow: President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday he would sign a law banning adoption of Russian children by foreign same-sex couples if parliament passed such a legislation.
"So far, I have no such bill, I have not seen this. But if such legislation is adopted by the country’s parliament, I will sign it,” Putin said at the Russia-EU summit which opened Tuesday in the Urals city of Yekaterinburg.
Alexei Levchenko, an aide to Olga Golodets, a Russian deputy premier overseeing social issues, said last week an amendment restricting foreign same-sex couples from adopting Russian children will be introduced in Russia.
Russia’s ombudsman for children’s rights, Pavel Astakhov, said Moscow should impose a moratorium on adoptions by French citizens now France allows same-sex couples to marry and adopt children.
The Russian-French agreement on adoptions should be reconsidered because France’s endorsement of gay marriage directly contradicts Russian legislation, he said.
French President Francois Hollande signed the gay marriage bill into the law May 18. France has become the ninth European nation and the 14th country in the world to legalise “marriage for all”.
The bill has sparked mass protests throughout France.
Speaking at the summit, Putin said: “I believe we all should be more tolerant and show less aggression. This concerns both people of traditional and non-traditional (sexual) orientation. Less aggression and touting of these problems. This will be better for everybody.”
Putin warned late last month that Russia could change its adoption agreements with countries that allow gay marriage, which goes against “traditional Russian values”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir