Putin ready to approve same-sex couples adoption ban
Moscow: President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday he would sign a law banning adoption of Russian children by foreign same-sex couples if parliament passed such a legislation.
"So far, I have no such bill, I have not seen this. But if such legislation is adopted by the country’s parliament, I will sign it,” Putin said at the Russia-EU summit which opened Tuesday in the Urals city of Yekaterinburg.
Alexei Levchenko, an aide to Olga Golodets, a Russian deputy premier overseeing social issues, said last week an amendment restricting foreign same-sex couples from adopting Russian children will be introduced in Russia.
Russia’s ombudsman for children’s rights, Pavel Astakhov, said Moscow should impose a moratorium on adoptions by French citizens now France allows same-sex couples to marry and adopt children.
The Russian-French agreement on adoptions should be reconsidered because France’s endorsement of gay marriage directly contradicts Russian legislation, he said.
French President Francois Hollande signed the gay marriage bill into the law May 18. France has become the ninth European nation and the 14th country in the world to legalise “marriage for all”.
The bill has sparked mass protests throughout France.
Speaking at the summit, Putin said: “I believe we all should be more tolerant and show less aggression. This concerns both people of traditional and non-traditional (sexual) orientation. Less aggression and touting of these problems. This will be better for everybody.”
Putin warned late last month that Russia could change its adoption agreements with countries that allow gay marriage, which goes against “traditional Russian values”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster